Free Tenzin Delek Rinpoche
On the early morning of July 16, Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's body was cremated by Chinese authorities despite repeated calls from his family and international community that his body be returned to the family.
Since his sudden death in Chinese prison, Tenzin Delek's sister Dolkar Lhamo has been extremely brave and courageous in publicly calling for the release of her brother's body to perform final Buddhist rites. Dolkar Lhamo and her daughter are now missing.
On July 17th, eye witnesses saw Dolkar Lhamo and her daughter Nyima Lhamo being taken away by Chinese authorities from Lithang around 8am from a restaurant in Chengdu city. They have been missing since.
TAKE URGENT ACTION NOW!
Urge you government to demarche China and push for an international inquiry into Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's death by taking 3 simple actions today:
1. Call your Elected Representatives
(see sample letter below)
2. Write to your Elected Representatives (see sample letter below)?
3. Tweet at your Elected Representatives: "#TenzinDelek died unjustly imprisoned! @[YOUR MP] his family must be released, and China must be condemned! #JusticeForTenzin"
This past week has been excruciatingly painful for relatives of Tenzin Delek Rinpoche, but our collective actions now can make a critical difference in ensuring the safety of Dolkar Lhamo and her daughter Nyima Lhamo and in seeking justice for Tenzin Delek.
China must know that we will not stand silent while entire families are persecuted for standing up for their people.
Find your representative:
SAMPLE TALKING POINTS TO USE WHEN CALLING YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES:
* Hi, my name is XXX and I'm calling because Tenzin Delek - a revered Tibetan monk and political prisoner - died after 13 years in Chinese prison. Prison authorities cremated his body despite repeated calls from his family, the US Government (and other governments) that his body be returned to the family.
* Tenzin Delek was innocent and the US and other countries have been calling for his release for many years, most recently calling for medical parole on the grounds that he was very ill as a result of years of torture and abuse in Chinese prison.
* China must be held accountable for its treatment - and ultimate death - of Tenzin Delek Rinpoche, which violates international human rights standards. We know that Beijing pays attention when the US issues strong condemnations in these cases.
* Also, while the US has asked China to investigate the circumstances around Tenzin Delek's death, the Chinese government cannot be trusted to do this properly and therefore I am requesting the US join with other governments in launching an international inquiry into the circumstances of his death.
SAMPLE LETTER TO SEND TO YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES:
Dear INSERT TITLE & NAME OF ELECTED REP,
I’m writing because Tenzin Delek Rinpoche, a revered Tibetan monk and political prisoner, died after 13 years of torture and denial of medical attention in Chinese prison. Prison authorities cremated his body despite repeated calls from his family and world governments that his body be returned to the family.
Today, I ask you to take urgent action on this matter.
Tenzin Delek was innocent and many countries like the USA, Germany, France and the UK have been calling for his release for many years, most recently calling for medical parole on the grounds that he was very ill as a result of years of torture and abuse in Chinese prison.
While some governments have already asked China to investigate the circumstances around Tenzin Delek's death, the Chinese government has not shown any sign of co-operating as they have intensified efforts to intimidate Tenzin Delek Rinpoche’s family and community in the aftermath of his death.
We appreciate the efforts that our government has taken so far in addressing Tenzin Delek Rinpoche’s death, but the aftermath of his devastating passing clearly demonstrates that actions taken so far are simply not enough. We need to see stronger action to hold the Chinese government accountable.
On July 17 in Chengdu, Sichuan province, Tenzin Delek Rinpoche’s sister Dolkar Lhamo and her daughter Nyima Lhamo were taken by police from their hometown Lithang, and have gone missing since. Chinese authorities have forcefully taken away the ashes from his family, holding them at gunpoint. Chinese military troops are currently pouring into Tenzin Delek Rinpoche’s hometown of Lithang and his monastery’s locale of Nyachu and are harassing Tibetans. On 13 July, Chinese military even opened fired on Tibetans demanding the release of his body, leaving 15 critically injured with gunshots. Clearly, there is a need for a stronger response from world governments.
Tenzin Delek’s death is endemic of the torture and horrific conditions that Tibetan political prisoners face when detained by Chinese authorities. China cannot continue to sweep rampant human rights abuses under the carpet, and our government needs to demonstrate clarity about their relationship with China regarding human rights.
Tenzin Delek Rinpoche was Tibet’s most high-profile political prisoner and the suspicious circumstances around his death require to be addressed and investigated appropriately.
Today I ask you to:
1. Make a public statement to condemn the Chinese government for Tenzin Delek Rinpoche death in Chinese custody and call for an
independent investigation into the suspicious circumstances of Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's death,
2. Urge the Foreign Minister to join other governments to demarche China to launch an independent investigation into the suspicious circumstances of Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's death i.e. carried out by the United Nations or other governments,
3. Urge the government to call on China to report the whereabouts of Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's sister Dolkar Lhamo and her daughter Nyima Lhamo and to immediately release them.
I look forward to hearing from you on this matter shortly, as in Tibet protests and police brutality against Tibetans are still unfolding regarding Tenzin Delek Rinpoche's death, and I am hoping to see timely government responses and efforts towards a solution. Thank you for taking the time to address my request.
TAKE YOUR ACTION FURTHER:
2014 Tenzin Delek Rinpoche Actions
KOLKATA, INDIA NEPAL
NEW YORK CITY